Grand Central Atelier (GCA) was founded in the 1990s by a group of visionary artists who met at Jacob Collins’ studio. They collaborated to develop an artistic sense and practice rooted in Renaissance heritage.
This training gained traction, and GCA became an independent, non-profit (501c3) company in 2014. They have a repute globally as a leading location for aspiring artists seeking a proper classical art education during the last four decades. We have developed a resident artist program and a gallery to help this emerging generation of professional artists.
Over 500 students will come through our studios this year, with 50 enrolled in our significantly selected four-year Core Program. This school has continuously produced the world’s most proficient modern realism painters, drafters, and sculptors under the leadership of Jacob Collins and the guidance of a staff of committed artists. We are now the most recent link in a 600-year-old chain of artists exploring truth and beauty via firsthand observation of nature.
Online Classes Pattern
General Online Class Information:
- To ensure the integrity of our high-quality instruction, we keep our online class numbers relatively small.
- In addition to assessing student work, teachers talk and demonstrate in most of our online programs.
- Students in most of our online programs can work on their class projects during class, but they will also need to dedicate some time outside of class to work on assignments and apply lessons’ ideas.
- Unless otherwise specified, each class has homework.
- Each class is videotaped. Students get access to recording for a short period the following day.
- Auditing is only accessible for classes that have an audit option listed. When there is no audit option for a class and students cannot attend live for one or more categories, most professors will criticize submitted students’ work lives, and students may watch the recordings.
Online Technology Requirements:
- The lesson will be delivered live online using the Zoom platform.
- To provide resources, most classes utilize Google Classroom. For additional information, go here to see a video.
- Both of these programs are free, but registration is required.
- Students will need access to a computer, tablet, or smartphone. A laptop or desktop computer is suggested.
- Please examine our Frequently Asked Questions and Registration Policies.
- When a class is marked as In Session, it is not accepting new students/registrations.
- We complete and offer online registration for the following season/semester of lessons 1 – 2 months in advance.
- As a result, spring enrollment occurs in late February/early March.
- You must have access to a computer, tablet, or smartphone. A laptop or desktop computer is suggested.
- Opportunities for Work-Study
- GCA provides few hourly work-study options relating to GCA events or studio build-up, clean-up, and maintenance, aside from two model coordinator positions. The office informs the student body about these options. $15/hour.
- Scholarships for Continuing Core Students based on Merit
- Merit-based scholarships balanced with financial need may be offered to continuing students beginning their second, third, or fourth year. These scholarships start at $1,000 and have the potential to grow in value each year. Scholarships are applied to next year’s tuition.
- Prizes may be given to students in more than one cat.